Welcome back to the July Flowers Video Sew Along and Lesson 2: Fabric Choices. Scroll down to see the Video! I hope that Lesson 1 of the July Flowers Video Sew Along on Necessary Tools was helpful! Today we are discussing how to choose a size for your July Flowers Dress and then my favorite topic, fabric! So let's dive in!
Picking a Size:
Choosing a size for the July Flowers dress is quite simple. Use your tape measure and simply measure your daughter around the chest and waist. Use the larger of the two measurements to pick the correct size from the measurement chart on the pattern. You should also double check her height to see if you want to cut the dress slightly longer or shorter. The finished measurements of the dress are also provided on the pattern so you can measure a dress she already owns to see if you would prefer the July Flowers dress you are making to be longer or shorter. Since the skirt piece is a rectangle, it is simple to cut it longer or shorter to get the exact length you would like.
Choosing a Fabric:
There are so many wonderful fabrics that you can use to make your July Flowers Dress! July Flowers is for woven fabrics; a knit is not appropriate. I recommend the following fabrics:
1. 100% Cotton quilting cotton
2. 100% Cotton Broadcloth
3. 100% Cotton Lawn
4. Double Gauze, but not swaddle - see this post on double gauze.
5. Cotton/poly broadcloth blend.
Additional Items Needed:
1. 1/2 yard of lining fabric.
2. a fat quarter or 1/2 yard of contrasting fabric if you wish to try any of the bonus embellishments,
3. Piping cord if you are piping the waist.
4. 3-4 buttons depending on size
5. Thread to match your fabric
6. Interfacing for the button placket or the entire bodice. I recommend the French Fuse which is a soft knit interfacing even for woven fabrics.
Once you have purchased your supplies, make sure to pre-wash and dry your fabric! The next 3 lessons are the bonus embellishment lessons - choose to add them to your dress or not!